With the recent popularity of beauty bloggers and beauty influencers on social media, makeup and skin care products have been on the rise. Walking into a Sephora or Ulta can get pretty overwhelming and sometimes we don’t know where to start. All we want is to look pretty right?
One of the first steps for great makeup is your base. Base consists of the skin on your face. Applying a primer after moisturizing creates a barrier between your skin and foundation. Primer creates a smoother surface for makeup application, extends your makeup throughout the day, and improves the overall look of your foundation. Now there are different primers that can benefit different skin types.
Primers for Oily Skin
If you tend to have oily skin, you most likely have larger pores. Minimizing pores are usually ideal when wearing foundation. You would want to find a mattifing primer to reduce shine and greasiness throughout the day.
Also pore-minimizing primers are very popular on the market and can be found in high end stores and drug stores.
Thank you for visiting NY Hair Company’s official website! We are a Las Vegas Hair Salon and have been established since 2004. NY Hair Company has been rated one of the BEST hair salons in Las Vegas! We are located only 5 minutes from the fabulous Las Vegas strip, servicing not only Las Vegas locals, but clients traveling from all over the world! We have the Best value and service anywhere near the strip without the expensive Las Vegas Strip prices. We specialize in all aspects of hair to include; hair cuts, hair coloring, highlights, lowlights, platinum blonding, color correction, hair extensions, hair styling, ombre and balayage color techniques, formal hair styling, bridal hair and make-up, waxing and more! Please call us to book your next hair service appointment!
Biotin (also known as Biotine, Vitamin H, and is part of the B Vitamins) has multiple health benefits as well as “beauty benefits”. Biotin can break down certain substances in the body like carbs and fat, as it is a component of important enzymes your body (should) naturally collect through a healthy diet. Biotin deficiencies are not very common and are nearly impossible to diagnose, but there are multiple symptoms that can reveal themselves to let you know if your food diet is lacking this vitamin. Some symptoms include dry eyes, cracking on the sides of the mouth, hair loss, scaly skin, weak/brittle nails, exhaustion, hallucinations, and depression. Most people who have this deficiency are (but not limited to) Pregnant women, chronic smokers, alcoholics, those with Crohn’s disease and/or liver disease, prone to rapid weight loss, diabetics, and those with diets mainly consisting of processed foods.
Luckily, Biotin comes is capsule form! Taking the right dosage of biotin can be very beneficial. Biotin can strengthen your hair and nails by strengthening the cuticle. It can improve your skin of a variety of “problems” (acne, rashes, psoriasis, dermatitis, etc). Biotin supports your metabolism by breaking down foods and is found in many healthy foods (cooked eggs, egg yolks, soy, walnuts, whole grains, beans, etc). Need lower cholesterol? Biotin can help with that! It also helps regulate your blood sugar by lowering glucose levels when paired with chromium.
If you’re not getting enough biotin from your foods, biotin taken in capsule form can be purchased over the counter at any drug store and we carry it here at NY Hair Company!
Why you should schedule your next facial appointment today!!
“Getting a facial is important to understand how your skin works and how it reacts to stress, hormones, and the elements,” says Regine Berthelot, the treatment manager at Caudalie Spa in New York City. “People with problematic skin should book a monthly facial. At the least, getting one every season is recommended to keep the skin balanced.”
We asked our favorite experts exactly why we should all be booking an appointment (and fast). Here’s what we learned.
1. Facials can actually clear your pores. “A professional treatment will fully cleanse your skin in a way that you simply can’t at home,” insists Dr. Marko Lens, a dermatologist and founder of skin care brand Zelens. “Think about it this way,” offers Kate Somerville, founder of the eponymous beauty brand, “You brush and floss your teeth twice daily, but you still need to go to the dentist a few times a year for optimal health.” Facialists normally utilize a safe and gentle steam to really open your pores and allow them to breathe. It’s a don’t-try-this-at-home kind of cleansing.
2. If something’s wrong, you’ll find out why. “Your skin changes over time depending on age, weather, and even hormones,” Somerville explains. “It’s a good idea to have an expert who can help you address those changes, identify skin conditions, and educate you on how to treat them.” If you have great skin now, don’t trust that it will last forever! For example, lots of girls suffer from eczema in the winter and simply blame it on dryness. Not treating a serious condition can lead to long-term skin damage!
3. You’re popping your zits wrong. Don’t lie. We know you do it. (And we do, too.) But every time you squeeze a pimple, you’re risking acne scarring and dark marks. “Regular, professional extractions will help keep the skin clear,” Somerville insists. “It will also help prevent long-term damage you might be causing at home.” You may even find that booking a regular appointment will eliminate any reason to pick and pop yourself. “Facials are essential to prevent imperfections,” adds Dr. Lens.
4. It’s better than the beauty counter. You know when you go to a beauty store and someone tells you what to buy based on looking at your skin under fluorescent lighting? That’s not how we should be purchasing things. “A knowledgeable, licensed esthetician will provide personalized skin recommendations and a regimen that will address your individual concerns.” The best way to know your skin is to examine it, cleanse it, treat it, and then assess it. Once you’re on a great regimen, the esthetician will update it by season. It’s like having your own concierge!
5. There are some things you just can’t DIY. “You will never have the right products at home to get a professional effect,” insists Dr. Lens. (Take that steam machine as a prime example!) “We utilize light therapy, using blue and red LED, to eradicate the bacteria that cause inflammation during breakouts,” says Somerville. “It’s also been proven to reduce pore size, stabilize oil production, and promote healthy cell growth.” Unless you’ve got big bucks and the proper degree, you can’t get that kind of treatment at home!
6. You’ll find your happy place. “Facials are so much more relaxing than a DIY,” says Dr. Lens. In fact, Berthelot uses a mix of high frequency, massage, and hot towels to maximize the pampering experience! Everyone knows stress can cause skin issues, so a facial can cure any breakouts and give you reason to take a few deep, cleansing breaths.
7. Confidence is key. “I struggled with eczema for years,” says Somerville, “and I’ve seen every skin concern imaginable in my clinic. I know exactly what it’s like to regain skin health and feel confident. You should feel comfortable in your own skin!”